Types of Editors in Publishing
In the publishing industry, there are several types of editors that might be unfamiliar to prospective and first-time authors. When you get your first publishing deal, you get a crash course in what every member of your team does, but here's a quick rundown from the author's perspective.
The most important editor is the Author. The author must be:
- completely invested in quality;
- quick to address feedback;
- reasonably detached from content;
- willing to make necessary cuts;
- willing to fight for their own book; and
- professional, courteous, and respectful.
Ultimately, the author should be carrying the majority of the editorial workload, working in concert with the lead editor to transform their manuscript into a high-quality, saleable product.